Website Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon University welcomes applications for an experienced colleague to join the Marketing & Communications team and lead the university’s campus tour program. Reporting to the Director of Visitor Experience, we are seeking an Assistant Director to support operations in our David and Susan Coulter Welcome Center, which opened this past fall. In this new role, you will build and oversee a first-rate campus tour program for prospective students and other campus visitors. Additionally, you will guide the transition and oversight of the Andrew Ambassador campus tour guide program from the Office of Admission to Marketing & Communications. This vital program consists of a select group of more than 50 undergraduate students and student coordinators who are paid to conduct campus tours for prospective students and other tour groups and participate in student panels. The Coulter Welcome Center has been open since last September, and is the location on campus that welcomed 20,000+ visitors in the past nine months.
- Create and lead a best-in-class campus tour guide program, following national benchmarks and best practices. Handle the tour script to ensure it aligns with university brand platform and Admission information sessions and related communications.
- Hire, train and supervise Andrew Ambassadors. Provide ongoing guidance and feedback for tour quality and create a system for quality assurance. Build team identity and commitment.
- Build and manage administration of the tour program by overseeing daily tour schedule, monitoring reservations and adjusting based on demand. Respond to requests for tours, manage the program budget and approve payroll.
- Create and maintain strong student leadership development, following standard methodologies and national benchmarks, for Andrew Ambassadors who serve on student panels for various on-campus Admission events.
- Work collaboratively with the Coulter Welcome Center manager to create joint student development and training for all university ambassadors.
- Partner with the Office of Admission and other campus partners to ensure pre and post arrival communication is current, and website information about tours is informative and welcoming.
- Work reciprocally with the director of visitor experience to build relationships and develop new tours for multiple audiences other than prospective undergraduate students.
- Create, track and report relevant metrics to inform planning and tour continual improvement.
- Lead campus tours on occasion for key constituents.
- Build and implement marketing engagement around campus visits, using social media, video and other digital and mobile channels.
- Work collaboratively with the director of visitor experience and other key stakeholders to lead strategic projects to enhance the experience for campus visitors.
- Serve as an integral team member by covering the center manager responsibilities in their absence.
Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a dynamic community of internal and external partners, with a high level of integrity and flexibility. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
Candidates should demonstrate:
- An understanding of visitor engagement and campus tour strategies;
- Cultural competence and ability to work with diverse audiences;
- Capability to work independently and handle multiple demands in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, social and collaboration skills, as well as reasoning and problem-solving skills; and
- Strong organizational skills and a team-orientation.
Candidates should be able to work between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday – Friday, but be willing to work outside normal business hours as there will be evenings and weekends required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum three years of marketing, admissions or student affairs experience required; university experience and prior student supervisory experience required, especially with campus tour programs with large visitor volumes.
- Proficiency in general office technology and databases preferred.
- PA ACT 153 clearances required (PA criminal, PA child abuse and FBI) and can be obtained during the pre-employment process.
The job description and link to apply can be found at https://cmu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2012458.
Salary and benefits are competitive and Pittsburgh is one of the nation’s innovative and exciting cities to live.
Review of applications begins June 3, with a target start date of mid to late July.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
To apply for this job please visit cmu.taleo.net.